Friday 23 November 2012

My Art Homework And A Few Daisies




I am going to begin this post with a phrase commonly used by my acquaintances- OMG!!! I really love this photo! It shall reside on my computer as a screensaver until I replace it with my dog!
I'm oddly attached to daisies, for the small reason that there is an exquisite painting in my room depicting a field of daisies. I actually wrote an ekphrastic poem inspired by it:
The poem was supposed to go here, but I lost the sheet of paper it was on. Oops!
Therefore, when my Art teacher, who I'll call here Mrs. &!(^)#%(*, set my class the following homework: 
What image did you stumble upon this week?
Share an amazing photograph, website, artist or artwork that you found that really inspires you.
How did you find it - what attracted you to it? What ideas does it give you?

Create a blog post about this visual find, share the image and link to the website- I will show you how to do this in class.
the image of that lovely painting was brought to mind and I immediately set about the task of 'stumbling' upon several daisy paintings. I felt that nothing else could inspire me, so I 'stumbled' upon as many daisy images as I could. When I finally found the perfect one, I realized that (gasp!) I didn't know how to put it onto the blog! But luckily, with my great store of logic and intellect, I managed to figure it out!
And now, for the homework. If you aren't Mrs. &!(^)#%(* or an art lover to the extreme, I assume that you'll be bored to tears, or extremely exasperated, because I know nothing about famous artists. Whenever I go to galleries, the paintings only make a faint impression on me and I can barely remember what they look like a day later.

So, what attracted me to this image? Well, as I earlier mentioned, I absolutely adore daisies, and daisy chains and such, and I also like sort of Claude Monet style paintings- for I can find no other way to describe this one.
What ideas does this painting bring on when I gaze upon it moonily? Well, it makes me think of Srinagar, as I made a lot of daisy chains when visiting there, and it makes me feel like painting a Japanese watercolor- I have no idea why.

Yippee! One homework down, a dozen more to go!

Bibliography: I got the painting photo from  http://artbyolva.com/Gallery/slideshow.php?set_albumName=Watercolor-Paintings-Large-Format  



1 comment:

  1. wow Devyani, just wow (again!) You never cease to amaze me with your work. This is an amazing write up - so much more than I ever expected and so well written and explained. I live the fact that you have an interest (obsession?!) with daisies - they are so part of my childhood, gardens in England are strewn with them naturally growing as a kind of weed actually. The painting is exquisite I have to agree with you. I think also that your point about knowing famous artists or not is a good one - why does someone have to be famous to have someone admire their work or put it on their wall or be inspired to paint like it? None whatsoever. I am not sure anyone else is so perceptive as you are - we shall see in their blogs - did you look at anyone else's yet? I looked especially for yours as I enjoyed the first post so much! Do you feel honoured?! I do hope you enjoyed writing this - it appears that you do - am I right? I'll teach you how to add links to the images to make the viewer have an easier route to its origins. Thanks again for sharing your finds and thought - a pleasure to read and get to know you better : )

    ReplyDelete